Safety must be your first priority when leading model rocketry activities. Be sure to watch our educational video series (currently in production) on preparing for a launch, which includes key topics:
- Understanding federal, state, and local laws.
Estes Rockets maintains a list of state laws that govern the use of model rocket motors.
- Obtaining permission to fly from the property owner.
Groups in particular should have written permission in hand at the launch (a printed email is good).
- Benefits of National Association of Rocketry (NAR) membership
Liability insurance, Sport Rocketry magazine, and technical resources are the highlights.
- Following the Model Rocketry Safety Code.
The safety code is not just a good set of guidelines; following the safety code is required for legal protection.
- Maintaining adequate adult supervision.
You know your group best, but a disciplined group will have the best safety record and have more fun.
- Thank the property owner when you are done.
Be sure to thank the property owner, and let them know how well it went. Emphasize learning and safety.